The seeds for the Department of Agricultural Entomology were sown in the year 1906 with the initiation of research on economic aspects of Agricultural Entomology in the then Madras Presidency. In 1912 an independent fledgling of the Entomology section was started and the first Government Entomologist, Dr. T. B. Fletcher, carried forward the activities at Coimbatore. Another milestone was achieved in the year 1920 with the start of undergraduate degree programme. The graduate students were offered courses on Agricultural Entomology viz. , fundamentals and economic entomology, principles of pest control and management of field and horticultural crop pests. Dr. T. V. Ramakrishna Iyer, eminent entomologist laid the foundation for graduate teaching. In the year 1959, the Department started the M.Sc. (Ag.) programme in Agricultural Entomology. To further the education endeavour, Ph.D courses are being offered since 1961.