Department of Plant Pathology of the Agricultural College and Research Institute, Coimbatore was started in the year 1910 with the Government Mycologist as Head of the department. The courses on Plant Pathology were offered to B.Sc.(Ag) and subsequently to B.Sc. (Horti.), B.Sc. (Forestry), B. Tech (Horti.) and B. Tech. (Ag. Biotech). The Post Graduate programme was started in 1958 and Ph.D. programme in 1961.
Department of Plant Pathology is functioning under the Centre for Plant Protection Studies (CPPS) which was established in April, 1984 in TNAU to coordinate and strengthen teaching, research and extension activities in Plant Protection and Sericulture.
The main objectives of this department are